Fall fashion season has arrived. Before you start your shopping, here are a dozen cutting-edge style trends for fall-winter 2018-19 that you might want to check out.
1. Oversized outerwear. Balenciaga’s voluminous and brightly-colored coats set the tone for the broad-shouldered, sweeping coats of the season. This runway look made its debut during Paris Fashion Week earlier this year.
2. Animal prints. They never really out of style, and this season they’ve come roaring into view. Sexy, sophisticated, and eye-catching, this Balmain velvet leopard-print mini dress is one way to play it.
3. Dark Florals. Like animal prints, dark floral prints seem to be perpetually on-trend. This season, Anthony Vaccarro of Saint Laurent stole the show with a sexy array of tiny black floral sequinned dresses and playsuits.
5. Tailored two-piece suiting. Whether in Prince-of-Wales plaid or other Saville Row-inspired fabrics, the power suit is back – but in a wide array of colors. You’ll find muted and classic grey and navy, as well more adventurous plaids, like FENDI’s red wool jacket with fur trim (which can be paired with coordinating trousers).
6. Dad sneakers on steroids. Leave it to Gucci to prove that there’s always more one can do with an idea. The brand’s latest footwear takes the “ugly” sneaker into hiking boot territory — the jewels are removable if that’s a bridge too far for you.
7. Footwear on fire. Flash the newly reintroduced Prada flame wedge, and you’ll demonstrate your advanced fashion savvy. Prada’s flame wedge is poised to be this fall’s hottest heel – it’s back by popular demand, having been retired in 2012.
8. Actual fire fighting-inspired gear. The over-sized coat takes on a tough utilitarian air with this Calvin Klein 205W39NYC firefighter’s coat.
9. Masks, veils, snoods, and other head coverings. As American Vogue puts it so well, the “cover story” this season is huge, with many designers offering ways to remain mysteriously hidden from view. Gucci leads the way with a wool balaclava sporting an intarsia bunny. Richard Quinn sent models down the runway with their faces entirely covered in brightly-printed scarves. And Calvin Klein 205W39NYC’s metallic leather hood references both the medieval past of knights and armor, and the blinding prospect of the future.
10. Prairie Chic. An embrace of the patchwork, heartland, hand-crafted aesthetic is a major trend this fall. And it’s not limited to American designers (although Calvin Klein 205W39NYC has some pieces that fit that description). French icons Chanel and Dior and cool Parisian brand Isabel Marant all featured homages to homespun prairie style.
11. Back the future. While some are looking back to a simpler time, others are racing forward to a bright shiny future. For example, Prada’s bags this season are futuristic and neon-saturated. You can adopt just a nibble of this look with Calvin Klein 205W39NYC’s metallic silver leather gloves.
Complete the look with the ultimate in cool: sunglasses from Gentle Monster. This sleek oval pair is made of stainless steel; the transparent lenses feature a purple stripe.
12. A Black Hat. The finishing touch to many on-trend ensembles this fall and winter will be a big black hat. Specifically, a felt fedora like this dapper version from Maison Michel. Even broader-brimmed black hats dominated the Marc Jacobs runway, and there will be more to come. Think Johnny Cash, and you’ll nail it.
There you have it – a dozen trends to know about as you launch your fall shopping spree. What say you? Which of these will you be bold enough to rock this fall?
Join our community
For access to insider ideas and information on the world of luxury, sign up for our Dandelion Chandelier newsletter. And see luxury in a new light.