It’s officially boot weather! Yay! If you’re one of those people who waits for this time all year, it’s your moment. Here’s our run-down on some of the best fall-winter 2018-19 designer boots. They’ll take you from the office to apres-ski to a lazy Sunday brunch in the city in effortless chic style.
Of course there are all kinds of boots, for all kinds of moods and occasions. So we’ve grouped our picks into 7 categories that reflect what you’re likely to find when you shop this fall.
1. Cozy furry ankle boots. Saint Laurent’s fuzzy shearling ankle boots are luxury hygge; Baldinini’s Turned-Over Ankle Boots are made of purple velvet to brighten even the grayest winter day; Christian Louboutin’s black and grey version is urban-tough; No. 6 has a winter hike-inspired version; and Chanel has launched Coco Neige, a line of snow-sports-inspired apparel and accessories, which includes a smart ankle boot.
2. Chic Suede and Velvet Classics. Prada’s black knee-high black suede boots are at the top of our list of investment pieces this fall; Aquazzura’s red pair are a welcome pop of bold color; Saint Laurent’s caramel-colored ankle boots are named after Janis Joplin; Gianvito Rossi’s square-toed blue velvet ankle boots
3. Animal Prints. Rugged or refined, high or low, there’s a leopard print boot out there right now for every occassion. Have a look at Gianvito Rossi’s knee-high calf-hair leopard boots; Alexander Wang’s studded Spencer boots; Christian Louboutin’s leopard lace-up ankle boots. If a zebra print is more your thing, Saint Laurent comes to the rescue with a chic pair of high-heeled ankle boots. And if you’re looking for a snake print, Rochas has nailed it with these glitter-heeled boots. Crocodile more your style? (Sorry, bad pun, we heard it). Aquazzura has a sleek faux-croc navy ankle boot perfect for a tailored OOTD.
4. Sparkly. These shimmering boots – noir or shimmering metallic – will work both day and night. Saint Laurent’s are covered in shiny purple glitter. Valentino’s knee-high version comes in pale pink suede; there’s also a slouchy mid-calf version studded with black crystals. Check out Gianvito Rossi’s sequinned mesh ankle boots; Balenciaga’s cool white and silver leather booties; and Brunello Cucinelli’s Chelsea boots in metallic copper.
5. Combat Boots. Tough weather demands a tough-luxe boot, and you can’t go wrong with a chunky combat (wear these with a fluid dress, dark floral or anything else that needs some edge). Giuseppe Zanotti’s patent leather pair add some refinement to the concept; Givenchy’s are totally chic. Louis Vuitton’s is plain flat leather with an LV twist buckle; and don’t feel obligated to go with black – we love this rich burgundy pair from McQ Alexander McQueen.
6. Back to the Future. Retro-futuristic silhouettes are on-trend this season. You could opt for Prada’s patent-leather and neon neoprene ankle boots, or the brand’s fluorescent orange and black lace-up leather booties. Be an emissary from the future in Balenciaga’s fluorescent green over-the-knee sock boots. Or opt for Balmain’s pre-fall ’18 Babette Flash boots, which feature lightning bolts as a homage to the era of Ziggy Stardust and Barbarella. Or Chanel’s electric blue.
7. White Boots. Go tall with Attico’s over-the-knee white crocodile-effect boots. Or stay closer to the ground with Chloé’s glossy white cut-out ankle boots, which are perfectly on-trend for this fall and winter. Givenchy’s fold-over leather ankle boots won raves from the fashion press; if you’re looking for something more rustic, check out the Western-style ankle boots from Calvin Klein 205W39NYC.
8. Statement Boots. If you can’t have fun with your footwear choices, what’s the point of it all? Balenciaga’s statement boot for fall-winter is a block-heel checked wool yellow plaid – the brand’s pre-fall ’18 mirrored ankle boots make us want to bust a move. Frequent flyers will love Vetement’s knee-high boots, covered in graphic prints depicting postcards from cities around the world. Nicholas Kirkwood‘s cool crinkled ankle boots are named after the Smashing Pumpkins’ original bass player D’Arcy Wretzky. And who doesn’t crave a pair of shiny red ankle boots when party time rolls around? We love this pair from Saint Laurent. Finally, the boot of the season, at least in Paris, seems to be the ankle boot from LVMH award-winner Marine Serre; she’s made the crescent moon her signature motif, and these printed black and light-beige sock-style boots are among the hottest sellers this fall.
That’s it – a quick stroll through the world of boots and booties for fall-winter 2018-19. For more ideas and inspiration, we love the luxury fashion sites MyTheresa, MatchesFashion, Farfetch, and Net-a-Porter.
Ah, the start of boot season. Our favorite time of year! Enjoy.
Join our community
For access to insider ideas and information on the world of luxury, sign up for our Dandelion Chandelier newsletter. And see luxury in a new light.