What is the true scent of the autumn? Apples, wood smoke, cinnamon, pumpkin spice? Whatever it is, we love it – so we went in search of luxurious scented candles that would fill our homes with the fragrance of fall.
Here are twelve scented candles in elegant autumnal vessels, with fragrances that evoke the fall season. They’ll fill your space with deep and rich fragrance, and most will burn for 50 hours or more. And in most cases when the candle is gone, you can use the decorative containers to house flowers, trinkets, found objects, writing implements — even your toothbrush. Win-win!
1. Cire Trudon Ciel Scented Candle, $124, is inspired by the aroma of a wood fire. The hand-poured vegetable wax is scented with birch, chestnut and moss on a base of cedar, musk and patchouli. The mouth-blown green glass vessel arrives in a matching presentation box stamped with a Japanese infinite Mizuhiki knot design, traditionally said to offer protection to whoever receives it.
2. Tom Dixon’s Eclectic London Scented Candle, $110, is inspired by London parks and the Thames. It’s hand-poured from natural wax and housed in a copper-colored vessel. Capturing the smell of red brick, crocuses and the saltiness of the river, the fragrance has notes of black pepper, oud wood and vetiver.
3. Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir Luxury Candle, $495, has an estimated burn time of 220 hours. The rich scent includes pomegranate and raspberry, a note of Casablanca lily and the warmth of guaiac wood and amber.
4. Antica Farmacista Manhattan Scented Candle, $44, evokes autumn in New York, the classic cocktail, and all of its associated glamour: swanky parties, walks in Central Park and chic cozy sweaters. Top notes of Satsuma and bergamot citrus balance spice and black pepper, while a brandied cherry note is an elegant accompaniment to the notes of cognac, vetiver, amber and bourbon.
5. Diptyque Ambre Cognac Scented Candle, $95, has a woodsy fragrance made with a mix of exotic spices, incense and Tonka Bean. It’s housed in an elegant cognac-colored glass container.
6. Matter & Home Strength scented candle. $65. Each of Matter & Home’s hand-poured candles is created with intention. Light this scent for an overall sense of strength, clarity and direction. The white soy wax balances notes of orange and spruce with patchouli, cedar and cinnamon. The glass votive can serve as a lovely vase once the candle burns down.
7. Gucci Esotericum Feline Head Candle $790. From the Gucci Décor collection, this candle comes in the Esotericum scent: a blend of Seville oranges with jasmine and warm notes of leather and salt. Made in Italy from paraffin wax with a cotton wick, it’s presented in a porcelain jar designed by Richard Ginori, with a black snake serving as the handle of the lid, and a feline head – an emblem of the house – serving as the central motif.
8. Fornasetti Profumi Segreto Giardino Scented Candle, $194, comes in a vibrant green ceramic jar with a matching lid. We love the lost-in-the-forest mood set by the container’s brown owl, lush foliage, and white balustrade print. The hand-poured vegetable-wax candle is infused with bergamot, vetiver, thyme, pink peppercorn, ivy, and cedarwood. Once its fully-burned, the jar can easily be re-purposed to hold autumn treasures.
9. Perfumer H Dandelion Scented Candle. $180. British perfumer Lyn Harris’s luxury scent line, Perfumer H, includes a capsule collection of exquisite candles ideal for the home. We’re partial to this Dandelion-scented candle, crafted with a blue hand-blown glass vessel set with the label’s gold motif. The fragrance is a fresh, nature-inspired dandelion scent, with notes of basil, tagète, honeysuckle and patchouli – the perfect way to bid summer goodbye.
10. Otherland Chandelier Candle. $36. According to the founder of chic home scent company Otherland, “Our Chandelier scent is the summer candle for those who secretly like autumn more.” We’re all in! Love the color palette on the vessel, too.
11. Utopia Candle – Walden. $50. This unique candle has a fragrance designed to evoke the perfect world described by the American writer Henry David Thoreau. In 1845, Thoreau, then in his late 20’s, built a small cabin in a quiet location among the pine trees on the shores of Walden Pond in Massachusetts. Thoreau went for long walks, read the books he had always meant to read, mended his own clothes, gathered fruit, went fishing and mused on what holds us all back from living simply, later sharing his thoughts in Walden: Life in the Woods. Scented with wild berries, citrus, geranium, cassis, amber and sandalwood, this candle celebrates a less cluttered and more natural way of life – and the joy of being deep in the autumn woods.
12. Paddywax Library John Steinbeck. $20. Also inspired by a notable writer, this candle is hand-poured at the brand’s Nashville factory, and made of a soy wax blend. It has top notes of black raspberry, apple, and nectarine; middle notes of cinnamon bark, clove leaf, and maple bark; and base notes of birch wood, campfire smoke, and pine needle. The vessel is labeled with a excellent quote from the author: “And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.”
We’re off to buy one Dandelion candle and one Chandelier candle. Somehow, that combination just feels right. Happy fall, everyone.
Join our community
For access to insider ideas and information on the world of luxury, sign up for our Dandelion Chandelier newsletter. And see luxury in a new light.